Cheese and honey are terrific, even sublime, pairing choices; particularly when you pair honey with blue cheeses.
When I first came back to Georgia in 2014 to help take care of mom and dad, The Man and I took an afternoon and visited Blue Haven Bee Company, where I was reminded there are vast differences in tastes according to where and what the bees pollinated. Earlier in the summer of 2014, I attended a Cheese and Honey seminar at the American Cheese Society’s Annual Conference which was my first honey “eye-opener” for me. The Blue Haven visit, where we met Monroe Brown, Owner and Master Beekeeper with a degree from the University of Georgia’s Beekeeping Institute at Young Harris hooked me on honey… fast forward to late 2017.
Now The Man and I are living in Northeast Georgia and I discovered a Beekeeping Club that meets once a month at the church where my dad was Pastor for nearly twenty years. I attended the October 2017 meeting… and down the rabbit hole of beekeeping I fell… I have no intention of keeping bees but the more I learn about bees and honey, the better the pairings with cheeses I can invent.
Which brings me to the subject of this posting…
February 24th, the Lake Hartwell Beekeeping Association is hosting a one day short course in beekeeping from 830am to 400pm at the First Baptist Church in Lavonia. Here’s a list of some of the line-up of speakers and goodies the day will offer:
- Eight classes on basic beekeeping with experts that include:
- Kerry Owen
- Owner of Bee Well Honey Natural Market & Bee Supply
- 2016 South Carolina Farmer of the Year
- Markets Honey, Bees and Beekeeping Supplies
- Raises Honey Bees at Twenty-Six Locations
- Linda Tillman
- Bobby Chaisson
- Ray Civitts
- Cyndi Ball
- Owner of Lazy B Farm
- Master Gardener, Agribusiness Owner, Beekeeper and Educator
- Operates her Homestead in Statham, Georgia
- Randall Kerlin
- Owner of R&S Honey Company
- Keeps Bees in Lavonia, Georgia
- Kerry Owen
More speakers will be announced in the near future.
The price of the entire day is $50 per person and $75 per couple and in addition to the above expert speakers, includes
- Comprehensive Workbook of the Course
- Future Hive Inspections
- Goodie Bag
- Raffles and Silent Auctions which will include (More items to be added in the coming days):
- Weekend Use of a NE Georgia Mountain Cabin (2 nights) – $240 retail value
- Cheese tasting party for up to 6 persons hosted at Winner’s home by Marcella Wright, Internationale Guilde des Fromagers and ACS CCP – $225 retail value
- Cheese Box from Beechers’ Handmade Cheeses which includes cheeses and cheese board and knife – Retail Value $100
- Cabot Cooperative Cheese Basket of eight cheeses plus cheese board and knife – Retail Value $75
- Beekeeping Books and tools
To register for this fun and educational course, go to paypal, email at lakehartwellbeeclub (@) gmail.com or call 706 476 7089 or 404 219 7200.
I’ll be there and would love to see you there as well!!
Upcoming: Our postponed Blue Have Bee Company Cheese/Wine/Mead/Honey/Chocolate tasting is being rescheduled for Valentine’s Day – bring a date and join us for fun and food. Date will be announced next week.