Getting Cheese Out the Door:
- Obtaining/providing romance and product information to share with retail customer.
- Education: provide basic and helpful info to retailer to help them sell the product. Provide samples to retailers to assist them in the enthusiasm area.
- Read industry magazines; participate in industry organizations such as ACS and social media groups.
- Daily sampling of cheeses. Murray’s requires all employees to taste a minimum of 3 different cheeses every day.
- Know your competition.
- Use social media to promote special demos, etc.
- Always offer every customer a sample
- Passive vs. active sampling
- % of sampling costs to sales
- Knowing best times to stage demos based on customer flow
- Cheese Wraps – Know Best to use for different settings: shipping, displaying, retail, at-hone storage; style of cheese
- Preventing mold; controlling mold; eliminating mold
- Rind cleaning techniques
- Cutting by styles
- Regulatory requirements
- Allergy alerts
- Certifications (Animal Welfare, Kosher, etc.)
- Type milk
- Raw or pasteurized
- Romance (Local, Grass-fed or pasture-grazed, etc., awards)
- Milk type
- Vegetarian suitable
- Raw or pasteurized milk
- Type of milk
- Storing/displaying cheese at room temperature
- Water Activity
- Margin calculations
- Mark-up calculations
- Waste calculation and control
- Calculating shelf life by styles of cheese and local regs
Interviews with Cheese Professionals continue through 2016… sometimes, as “stand-alone” interviews and sometimes as round-table discussions with several Pros answering the same question. Those participating include Cheesemakers, ACS CCPs™,Cheesemongers and Cheese Experts who contribute to this Wonderful World we call “Cheese”.
List of 2015-16 Cheese Professionals.
List of all Cheese Professionals Bios.
Please “Like” MarcellaTheCheesemonger Page on FaceBook.
Studying for one of the 2016 ACS CCP™ exams? Simply want to know more about cheese? Please join our Cheese Study Group at Facebook!!!