This is an old-fashioned baked macaroni and cheese, made with bits and pieces of whatever The Lady found in the fridge and the pantry. The Man and I love when she makes any “Kitchen Sink-style” casserole.
Please note: The Lady isn’t big on measuring ingredients – so what follows is “guesstamations” at best… as long as it tastes good…that’s all that really matters…right???
- 8 – 12 ounces macaroni product – The Lady used some penne, far falle, elbow and corkscrew – all organic and whole wheat
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 4 Chicken and Spinach Sausage Links – The Lady used some fully-cooked ones from Costco – she sliced them into disks before browning them
- Chopped Red Bell Pepper
- Chopped Orange Bell Pepper
- Chopped Anaheim Chili
- Chopped Garlic Clove
- Chopped Onion
- Chopped Scallion
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups shredded cheeses – The Lady used up bits and pieces of Roth Kase Gran Queso, Parrano, Golden Age Super Sharp Cheddar, Grana Padano, Willamette Valley Brindisi, Emmi Gruyere and Roth Kase Butter Kase
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs*
Boil macaroni in salted water, following package directions. Drain under running cold water.
Slice Sausage and sauté in EVOO until brown on both sides. When nice and brown add the chopped veggies and sauté them till tender.
Cover bottom of a 2-quart baking dish with layer of macaroni, a layer of cheese, sausage , veggies, chips of butter and pepper.
Continue layers until all ingredients are used, ending with a cheese layer.
Whisk milk and egg together, pour over the top, cover with bread crumbs and more butter chips, and bake in a 350° oven for 25 to 35 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
Serves 4 to 6.