- Begin by reviewing the ACS BOK – Domain Eight – Cheese Service.
- Understand fundamental pairing “rules” (and of course, there really aren’t any “rules”):
- What grows together goes together. (Cheese and wine, beer, condiments, etc. from same region usually pair well.)
- Likes with likes. (Milder cheeses pair well with lighter wines, beers, etc.; you don’t want cheese or pairing to over-power the other.)
- Opposites attract. (Saltier cheeses like blues pair well with sweet wines, beers, condiments, etc.)
- Understand uses of cheese: incorporating into recipes; meltability, and applications such as grating on pasta, soufflés, soups, etc.
- Know classic applications: cheeses for fondue, potatoes au gratin, etc.
- Understand plating for cheese boards: presentation, cutting for esthetics, portioning guidelines.
- Classic cheese pairings: Manchego and quince paste; brie and champagne; blue cheese and honey, etc.
- Cutting and wrapping guidelines for best presentation and storage and preservation.
- Understand customer needs: pregnancy; lactose intolerance; dietary choices; raw vs. pasteurized; vegetarian suitable cheeses.Taking the 2015 Exam? Please see my page on Tips for Studying for the Exam. Want support? Come join our 2015 Cheese Study Group.Interviews with All Cheese Professionals: Cheesemakers and Cheese Professionals
Interviews will continue throughout 2015… sometimes, they will be “stand-alone” and sometimes they will be presented as round-table discussions with several Cheese Professionals answering the same question. Those participating includeCheesemakers, ACS CCPs™, Cheesemongers and Cheese Professionals and Experts who contribute to this Wonderful World we call “Cheese”.
List of 2015 Cheese Professionals.
List of all Cheese Professionals Bios.
Please “Like” MarcellaTheCheesemonger Page on FaceBook.